The CPAFI offers scholarships to current Indiana Department of Correction employees and contract staff, along with dependent members of their household. If you, your children, dependents, or spouse are currently attending school or plan on enrolling in an undergraduate, graduate, technical, or vocational program, this scholarship opportunity is for you!
The Spring 2022 CPAFI scholarship applications are now available for both full and part-time students.
WHAT SCHOLARSHIPS ARE AVAILABLE?
In honor of Lieutenant Eugene “Gene” Lasco:
The “Public Safety Scholarship” is now the Eugene Lasco Public Safety Scholarship ($4000)
Lieutenant Eugene “Gene” Lasco began his career with the Indiana Department of Correction at the Indiana State Prison in 2009. During his career, Lt. Lasco was a locksmith and served on the Emergency Squad and the Technical Response Team. He received multiple accolades for his service to the Indiana Department of Correction. Lt. Lasco was an accomplished marksman and an avid hunter. He was a gregarious individual who loved music, and was an active supporter of the Special Olympics, taking the Polar Plunge to raise money and awareness.
Tragically, on February 21, 2021, he was killed in the line of duty at the age of 57. In fact, Lt. Lasco died far exceeding the line of duty by confronting a homicidal offender that had gotten loose of his restraints. His actions protected other staff from more serious harm. He is truly a hero that will never be forgotten. The CPAFI has respectfully renamed this scholarship in his honor. The following scholarships are also available:
- Commissioner’s Scholarship, $7500 (one available)
- Eugene Lasco Public Safety Scholarship, $4000 (one available)
- Rose Vaisvilas Scholarship, $3000 (one available)
- Supplies Scholarship, $2000 (approximately eight available)
- Part-time Student Scholarship, $1000 (approximately four available)
NOTE: With respect to two of the SPRING 2022 supplies scholarships the CPAFI will be trying something new. Students who do not meet one or more of the general prerequisites of the other CPAFI scholarships are free to apply and compete for a “Special Circumstances” scholarship. When applying for a Special Circumstances scholarship, check the box on the application indicating you are applying for a “Supplies Scholarship” then, as part of your written “Personal Statement” (Section 5 of the application), indicate that you are applying for a “Special Circumstances” scholarship and include within this statement the unique factors or set of circumstances you believe should be taken into consideration when determining application eligibility.
HOW DO I APPLY?
NOTE: All scholarship recipients will be required to provide an official transcript before scholarship distribution.
Spring 2022 Application – Scholarship applications now accepted ONLINE ONLY. Spring 2022 scholarship application *Applications must be submitted by December 3, 2021.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Full-time enrollment at an accredited college or university in the United States including undergraduate, graduate, technical, or vocational (except for the part-time student scholarships).
- Half-time or more, but less than full-time enrollment, will be considered part-time and be eligible for the part-time student scholarship.
- **Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher (on a 4.0 scale).
- Special consideration may be given to students who are majoring in an area of study that directly pertains to corrections, public safety, or community service; and
- You must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States.
- The winners of any CPAFI scholarship are not eligible to receive another CPAFI scholarship within the same calendar year.
*Full-time study is defined as full-time enrollment for the entire upcoming academic year. **Minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher and proof of volunteer service required for each year an individual is awarded the IDOC Scholar scholarship.